Sunday, January 16, 2011

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy - Week 3

Week 3: Assess yourself! You’re great at researching everyone else’s history, but how much of your own have you recorded? Do an assessment of your personal records and timeline events to ensure your own life is as well-documented as that of your ancestors. If you have a genealogy blog, write about the status of your own research and steps you may take to fill gaps and document your own life.

I have to admit, I was a little scared when I read this challenge.  I thought to myself, "wow, I never thought about documenting MY life."  Turns out I have quite a bit of my own personal records documenting my life.  Also turns out that my life has been pretty mundane up to this point.  I did the usual - got born, went to school, got a job, got married, had a kid, divorced, raised a kid, went back to school ... and now I'm just waiting to graduate.  One more piece of paper to document another chapter of my life.

I have my birth certificate, marriage certificate, divorce decree, my daughter's birth certificate ... and I think if I look through my stuff hard enough, I might be able to find something to document every job I've ever had.

I guess I better make a folder in my new filing system for myself.  I have already updated all of my information in my family tree program, so now I just need to make copies of all my original documents.



52 Weeks To Better Genealogy is a 2010 series of weekly blogging prompts that are a bit more challenging and are geared towards those new to the field of genealogy and family history as well as those who want to brush up on some skills which might be a bit rusty.  Thanks to Amy Coffin at We Tree Genealogy Blog and Thomas MacEntee at Geneabloggers for putting this together!

0 comments:

Post a Comment