Sunday, January 23, 2011

My Research Toolbox

I did it.  I finally did it.  Because of the Open Thread Thursday post at Geneabloggers, I decided to bite the bullet and put together my research toolbox.  Well, I started it anyway.  Turns out I had a LOT more links than I thought I did, which is great ... but also made me realize how disorganized they were (which is probably why I'm not having as much luck with my research as I anticipated ...).

Using Thomas MacEntee's suggestion of a Weebly website (it's free ... and fun to say), I built

(cue the dramatic music) ...

JENNY-OLOGY

Wheee!  (Yes, I've been waiting a long time to use that name for something).

Ok, so it's no 6-million-dollar man or anything, but I'm hoping it will help me keep my links organized.  I have included a link on my blog, and a reciprocal link to my blog from my toolbox.  I may at some point or another move my blog over to my website (since I went ahead and bought the domain name before someone stole it's awesomeness), but I haven't quite figured out how to do that yet.

I hope to also incorporate some Surname pages and other stuff ... but I want to get my toolbox up and running first.  It's a work in progress, so be gentle if you come visit.  Any helpful hints or ideas will be greatly appreciated!

7 comments:

Karen said...

Jenny-ology... that's awesome! lol I like what you've started at Weebly. Might have to look into that myself - thanks for the inspiration!

Thomas MacEntee said...

SWEET! Do you mind if I demo your toolbox during one of my upcoming presentations? And don't you love Weebly? I stumbled upon them last year and they are a relatively new start up based in San Francisco. I am predicting big things for them in the future!

Liz said...

Great job, Jenny! I LOVE the name Jenny-ology!! That's awesome! And I
did go check it out, and I think you've done a great job. I really like
the background you chose, also. I added Weebly to my toolbox for future
use.

Lisa Wallen Logsdon said...

Well...I'm totally impressed! You have done a very nice job so far. I like how you can read a short paragraph on what the bookmarked link contains. Very attractive site too, love it!

Unknown said...

@Tom - feel free to use it for your presentation! I mooch off you already, so it's only fair :) (Also, I do love Weebly. It's very easy to use! And with an unlimited number of pages, I can rule the world .. muahahaha!)
@Liz, Karen, Lisa - Thanks you guys, I'm glad you like it. I wanted something that was easy to navigate, with descriptions so I can remember why I bookmarked the link in the first place! LOL

Greta Koehl said...

Outstanding - I'll have to check this out!

Nancy said...

Your Jenny-ology Toolbox looks great! I love the colors and format. I'll have to check into it. Thanks for posting about it.

Post a Comment