Tuesday, April 12, 2011

2011 Genealogy Goals - update #2


So, here it is the middle of April and I haven't updated my goals for the year since February.  I figured I might as well face the music ... 

1.  Plan (and execute) a trip to the National Archives in D.C. (to coincide with my visit with my mom! I'll be dragging her along with me so we can play with my new Flip-Pal that she got me for Christmas).
Check.  You can see the "results" of my efforts here.

2.  Request pension files for my military ancestors.
Still working on which ancestors actually served in the military before I can request these records.  I've decided to break it down by war (starting with the Civil War), then look into peacetime enlistments.  In addition to the one ancestor I knew for sure was in the Civil War (which I wrote the other day about here), I have found four others, and I'm still looking.  I have been able to find quite a bit on each of them between Ancestry, Footnote, and the Alabama Department of Archives and History.  I've also posted on a few message boards once I discovered their regiment, etc.

3.  Break down the brick wall that we call my grandfather's biological parents!
Still no movement on this one.

4.  Scan and organize all of my photos.  I may have to become a regular at the ScanFests!
I have continued to scan some photos, although I've had some scheduling conflicts with the Scanfests for the past 2 months.  I have been able to scan roughly 50 or so more since my last update.

5.  Re-source all of my research ... well, some of it is sourcing for the first time, but I just need to make sure everything has a source!  I guess before I do this, I really need to pick a program and stick with it.  I'm bouncing around between 3 or 4 different ones right now ... mainly because I don't have access to the new FamilySearch yet, so RootsMagic has kind of taken a back seat, and I like the layout of Family Tree Maker, but sourcing is confusing to me.  Ugh.  So many decisions!
I have managed to transfer between 4 and 7 generations of data (by hand) in RootsMagic (depending on the branch) and add sources and media to everyone.  I continue to coordinate those efforts with my new filing system and trying to keep up with DearMYRTLE's Organization Checklists.  Slow down, Myrt!  I'm still working on January!

6.  Keep a to-do list in ONE place, and actually work on it!  (Thanks to all you folks who have posted some great ideas on how to do that)
I continue to transfer my to-do list to RootsMagic as I transfer all of my data.  I've actually been able to check off a couple of things on that to-do list, which is definitely a plus!

7.  Increase my FamilySearch Indexing output by at least twofold.
Check.  As planned, I attended the Super Indexing Sunday bash that Ken Sisler started on Facebook and managed to meet, and exceed, this goal.  I will continue to index, but it has been put on the back burner for now, with finals looming and graduation coming up!


8.  Finally take a trip to the Family History Library in Ooltewah, TN (yes, it's only about 15 minutes away, I just keep forgetting to go!)
Still need to do this.  Again, it may have to wait until after graduation.

9.  Transcribe all the documents I have obtained (and will obtain).
I continue to work on this goal while transferring my data to RM4.  Slow and steady wins the race, right?

10.  Last but not least ... start writing my family history!  Note: it will probably be 2064 before I actually FINISH it, but at least I can start writing it.
I am missing a key piece of source information before I can call John Charles Slowey's bio complete (namely, his &*%$&%*$% birth certificate).  Otherwise, I have started bios on 3 other ancestors.  It's still a work in progress with no end in sight, but at least it's in progress!


I'm glad to see that I actually managed to check two of these goals off my list!  Maybe I'm not doing as horribly as I thought.  Well, I've been working my butt off in school for the past 3 years, but it finally paid off.  I received my Summa Cum Laude award last week (3.9 GPA or higher), along with an award for Outstanding Leadership while serving as President of the Paralegal Association at school for 2010-2011.  Three more weeks and school will be over ... HOORAY!!

2 comments:

Susan Clark said...

I am all admiration! Fabulous job on school and the genealogy goals.

Unknown said...

Thanks, Susan! I'll consider it a true accomplishment when I can finally get a FULL night's sleep :)

Post a Comment