Thursday, December 30, 2010

My Genealogy Goals for 2011

I've been playing catch-up on my Google Reader with the umpteen gazillion blogs that I follow (okay, maybe I exaggerate a little), and I see that a lot of folks are posting their genealogical goals for 2011.  I thought, "well heck, mine can be summed up in one goal: do more research!"  But then I thought maybe it would be a good idea to have some sort of plan, especially since I'll be done with school in May, and I'll have all sorts of time to really start digging.  So, here goes:

1.  Plan (and execute) a trip to the National Archives in D.C. (to coincide with my visit with my mom! I'll be dragging her along with me so we can play with my new Flip-Pal that she got me for Christmas).

2.  Request pension files for my military ancestors.

3.  Break down the brick wall that we call my grandfather's biological parents!

4.  Scan and organize all of my photos.  I may have to become a regular at the ScanFests!

5.  Re-source all of my research ... well, some of it is sourcing for the first time, but I just need to make sure everything has a source!  I guess before I do this, I really need to pick a program and stick with it.  I'm bouncing around between 3 or 4 different ones right now ... mainly because I don't have access to the new FamilySearch yet, so RootsMagic has kind of taken a back seat, and I like the layout of Family Tree Maker, but sourcing is confusing to me.  Ugh.  So many decisions!

6.  Keep a to-do list in ONE place, and actually work on it!  (Thanks to all you folks who have posted some great ideas on how to do that)

7.  Increase my FamilySearch Indexing output by at least twofold.

8.  Finally take a trip to the Family History Library in Ooltewah, TN (yes, it's only about 15 minutes away, I just keep forgetting to go!)

9.  Transcribe all the documents I have obtained (and will obtain).

10.  Last but not least ... start writing my family history!  Note: it will probably be 2064 before I actually FINISH it, but at least I can start writing it.

Rats.  Now I'm going to have to look back on this at the end of the year and see what I didn't do, aren't I?

2 comments:

A rootdigger said...

Your plans are much more detailed than mine, and for that simple reason I signed on right away to follow you. Welcome to genea Bloggers group. I think I will enjoy your posts. It's no promise I will be better this next year at getting around to read. But I am going to try.

And it is difficult to blog all the time and research especially with more than one blog. I am hoping to do more and enter some prompts. jo arootdigger- at Genealogy of Oldendorf und Nahrendorf

Travis LeMaster said...

Your goal # 5 [Sourcing] will be the most important and beneficial. I have a similar goal in 2011 as well. Here's to our success!

Post a Comment