Friday, January 27, 2012

Follow Friday - TimeToast

While I love the fact that my RootsMagic 5 will do a very nice timeline, I have been looking for a way to do one that is a little more visual (pictures and pretty colors work better for some reason).  So when I stumbled across a link I saved some time ago for TimeToast, I decided to play with it a bit.


You can view timelines for pretty much any period or person in history (here's one for the Space Race), but you can also make your own timelines!


It's not comprehensive, but I added enough stuff to see how all the bells and whistles worked.  Here's my end result:



First (and most important), it's FREE.  Second, it's incredibly easy to use.  Granted, I would love to be able to export my timeline from RM5 to this website (hint hint TimeToast and RM5), but alas, I cannot.


There are a couple of options for creating the timeline.  You can add individual dates or a span of dates.  One drawback I found is that for a span of dates, a day and month are required, which is kinda crappy if all you have are years.


You can add images to your individual entries, but they have to be in .jpg, .jpeg, or .png format.  No PDFs allowed, which is kind of a bummer.  Images cannot be added to time spans.


The timeline can also be viewed in "Timeline" view or "Text" view.  Above is the timeline view.  You can look at the Text view for this timeline here, click on "Text" in the upper right corner of the visual.  I would love to figure out how to embed the text view and the timeline view.  They sure would be nice together on my website.


All in all, it's a neat little website.  Your timelines are public, unless you keep them in "draft" version but then you can't share them.  


For a free site, I don't have a problem allowing my timelines to be public - I just won't put any living people's information up there.  I haven't figured out if you can embed them on WikiTree yet, but I hope that's a possibility.  It certainly would add some visual interest to MY pages (which are incredibly boring right now).  Maybe Chris Whitten is reading ... ??




Do we share any ancestors?
Please email me at lostancestors [at] gmail [dot] com

0 comments:

Post a Comment