Monday, January 30, 2012

Motivation Monday - First Month Goal Update

So, it's a month into the new year, and I thought I'd do a quick update just to see where I am with my goals so far.

My Geneabuddy and I are trying something new this year (totally Laura's idea), and we're assigning the items on our weekly to-do list the corresponding number of the goal it works toward.  I like this because it helps me keep my eye on the prize.  I tend to get all tangential when I'm making my list of weekly goals, which is never a good thing.

The moment of truth:

1.  Obtain the addresses, birth dates, and anniversary dates for all of my first cousins on both sides of my family … and names and birth dates of spouses and children. Oh and all my half siblings’ spouses and kids too.
Working on this one. I've mailed out three letters and sent one Facebook message (didn't have a mailing address). I have another planned for mailing this week.



2.  Attend at least five (5) Scanfests (or equivalent) this year - and actually scan stuff.

Well, I wasn't able to attend January's Scanfest because I was spending time with one of my living family members (which is probably more important anyway), but I'm going to try to attend February's.  In the meantime, I'm going to keep scanning on my own (see #3)

3.  Scan and label at least 15 photos and/or negatives each week, or until they are done, whichever happens first.
So far, so good.  I've managed to get 58 photos/negatives scanned, labeled, and put in their appropriate folders so far this month.

4.  Attend at least two (2) genealogy conferences.
Hoping to attend FGS in Birmingham (which will depend on (1) a successful mediation of one of our cases, and (2) the federal trial calendar for the same case.  Keeping my fingers crossed nonetheless.  Also planning on attending the Family History Expo in Atlanta in November.

5.  Give at least two (2) presentations to my genealogical society.
One down, one to go.  I gave my "Online Genealogy Collaboration" presentation during our January 10th meeting.  Still trying to decide on my next topic.

6.  Index at least 200 records per month at FamilySearch Indexing.
I've done 100 records so far this month, so I've made progress, but I'm slacking on my goal a little.  I'll have to make up for it in February.

7.  Add at least five (5) individual ancestor stories to my website.
Hmm ... I haven't added any, but I made the ones already on there look really nice!  Okay, I'll get to work on those - which should be a little easier now that I'm participating in the Write Your Family History Challenge for February.

8.  Blog at least twice per week.
I have a total of 19 blog posts for the month of January (including this one) ... I'd say I blew this goal out of the water this month!

9.  Finish reading Greenwood's "The Researcher's Guide to American Genealogy."
Currently re-reading Chapters 13 and 14 to present to the Genealogists in Second Life Book Club at the end of February.

10.  Add at least three (3) website links per week to my online toolbox.
I have added 19 links to my toolbox, which has significantly whittled down my list of "pending" links to add.  So this goal ... check.

All told, not too shabby.  I'm hoping that a lot of these will become routine and it won't be so hard to remember to put them on my weekly lists (and actually do them).  A couple more will hopefully get reached in the next several weeks and I can put that energy toward some of the other, more intimidating goals.

I couldn't have done it without Laura.  Each of us is capable of motivating ourselves and we do okay, but working together we're AWESOMESAUCE!



Do we share any ancestors?

Please email me at lostancestors [at] gmail [dot] com

2 comments:

Joan said...

Nice...congratulations!

Jennifer said...

Great job!!

Post a Comment