Friday, June 22, 2012

C is for ... CANADA!

Special thanks to Alona at Gould Genealogy for coming up with the Family History Through the Alphabet challenge!


C is for CANADA!


My 2nd great grandfather, Joseph Zenophile Lanctot, was born in Quebec, Canada.  So was his mother Sophia (Longtin) and his father Pierre.  My 3rd great grandfather, Louis Bourk(e) was also born in Canada.  So was his wife Mary and his father Francis.  As you can tell, I have a little Canadian research that needs to be done.


I haven't been able to do a lot of research in Canadian records yet, as I'm trying to get all the research done in this country before I start venturing outside of it, but I have taken a peek at some of the Canadian census records for those two families - mainly to solve a couple of mysteries that continue to hang around my neck like an albatross.


I sure would like to know that when the time finally does come for me to jump into Canadian research that there are historical and genealogical records and archives still available to me.


Lorine McGinnis at the Olive Tree Genealogy Blog sent out this heartfelt plea to save the National Archival Development Program (NADP) in Canada.  The loss of access to the Canadian Archives doesn't only affect Canadians!  You can help by signing this petition.  It doesn't matter where you live ... Canada, the United States, Uganda, or Bora Bora ... your signature can help!




*updated to correct relationship errors


Do we share any ancestors? 
 Please email me at lostancestors [at] gmail [dot] com

1 comments:

GeniAus said...

Thanks for the reminder, Jenny, I'll sharpen my digital pencil and sign today. Have found some family who went to Canada and wouldn't be surprised to find more.

Post a Comment