Friday, February 03, 2012

Follow Friday - MapMaker

I stumbled across another website that I had saved quite some time ago and decided to dust it off and see what it could do.  That website is MapMaker.


MapMaker is a product of BigHugeLabs, which has some other pretty neat tools - though I haven't really played with any of them yet.


The maps include the entire world, or specific regions (U.S., Europe, Asia, etc.), and all you have to do is check the boxes of the places you want identified on the map, and (as the website says) the map "automagically" updates.  There are options to change colors and stuff, but I didn't mess with that -- mainly because I had no idea what I was doing.  There's some of that newfangled HTML stuff on there for you high-techies.


The site says that you can "Create a map of places you've visited (or want to visit or dream about or know people from) and get HTML code that you can embed in your profile on Flickr, Facebook, My Space, your blog or any other web page."  I thought to myself ... "self, why can't you make a map of where all the people in your tree have been born?"  Self answered, "no reason."  So I did.  Here's what it looks like:

Areas of Research
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com


I see no reason why you couldn't do a map of the migration patterns of families within your tree, or any other kind of map you can think of.


It may not be as useful as say ... census records ... but it's still pretty nifty.



Do we share any ancestors? 
 Please email me at lostancestors [at] gmail [dot] com

2 comments:

Dee said...

Love this idea, Jenny.

I'm gonna steal it from you.

Dee at Shakin' the Family Tree

Unknown said...

I wish I could take credit, Dee. But steal away!

Post a Comment