Thursday, October 06, 2011

Bronze Star Medal Awarded

As I mentioned in my previous post here, one of my goals this week was to read (and transcribe) two of the articles I scanned while vacationing at my grandmother's house this summer.  This is the second such article.


James Lanctot is my granduncle (my grandfather's brother), and Vernon G. Slowey is also my granduncle (my grandmother's brother).  They served together in the 147th Field Artillery Battalion, Army National Guard of Yankton, South Dakota .   This article was published in the Yankton Press & Dakotan sometime around August 1944.


SEVERAL OF 147TH CITED FOR SERVICE


Sgt. James Lanctot, son of Mrs. Alice Lanctot, Yankton, has been awarded the Bronze Star Medal with the following citation:


"Sergeant James L. Lanctot, Field Artillery, U.S. Army.  For meritorious achievement in connection with military operations against the enemy near Maffin No. 1, Dutch New Guinea, from 22 May to 2 June 1944.


"Sgt. Lanctot established perimeter defenses for his organization in each of its five areas.  His careful reconnaissance, often under fire, and skillful planning, made possible effective resistance to repeated enemy attacks.  Sgt. Lanctot's efficiency, judgment and valor are of the greatest merit."


As a member of the South Dakota national guard unit, the 147th F.A., Sgt. Lanctot has been serving in the Southwest Pacific for about 32 months, and this is his second citation, the other having been for special volunteer duties in the Timor Islands (East Indies) during the early stages of the Pacific war.


====


Another of four Yankton young men of the 147th F.A. to receive the Bronze Star Medal and citation is Technician Fifth Grade Howard W. Nelson whose father, M.W. Nelson, and sister, Mrs. Woodrow Vollmer, now reside in Richmond, Calif.


Technician Nelson's citation reads:


"For meritorious achievement in connection with military operations against the enemy near Maffin No. , Dutch New Guinea, from 24 May to 27 May 1944.  As radio operator with a forward observation party, Technician Nelson maintained constant communications with direction center despite the innumerable difficulties of terrain and enemy fire.  In setting up and operating his radio, he was directly exposed to sniper fire, but never hesitated to select a position which would first of all assure communications.  Technician Nelson's valorous service is in keeping with the best traditions of the army."


Another already mentioned having received the Bronze Star Medal is T-5 John Trierweiler.  Sergeant Vernon G. Slowey is also listed with Yankton members of the 147th F.A., so honored.

3 comments:

Gary Schulte (dauis2@msn.com said...

My father, Kenneth Schulte, and his cousin, Gerhard Hunhoff, were also members of Battery E of the 147th Field Artillery Unit. I have pictures of him with John Hoaglin and Steve Carda from Fort Ord.

Unknown said...

Gary, that is so exciting! I would love to know if you have any photos of the entire unit. Incidentally, you might be interested in my post from October 7 with the newspaper article containing the roster for Battery E. It lists both your dad and his cousin. I'll be happy to email you a copy of the article if you aren't able to copy it from my blog.

dauis2 said...

Sorry for the delay in responding. I have a unit picture of Battery E (Yankton) in a book titled "South Dakota in World War II." It has a section on the 147th FA.

The picture isn't the best quality, but I can scan it if you want. E-mail me at dauis2@msn.com.

I bought the book at Gallagher Books, 1-866-425-5225 or www.gcbooks.com. At the time they had more than 1 copy available.

Post a Comment