Thursday, December 02, 2010

Advent Calendar - December 2 - Holiday Foods

As far as favorite holiday foods go, I'm not really sure what my ancestors did.  However, I do know what my living family did.  We baked.  A lot.  I'm sure there were feasts of turkey and fixin's ... but that's not what sticks in my memory.  What I remember are cookies.  A lot of cookies.  I'll touch on my favorites in a later post.

Another thing I remember ... and my memory is a little foggy these days, so it may not have even happened on Christmas, but it always makes me think of Christmas morning ... my mom's Hungarian Coffee Cake (we don't even have any Hungarian roots!).  It was a bundt cake-shaped mass of break-apart pieces of gooey-sticky heaven.  I had to go web surfing to find a photo, mainly because at the time the coffee cake came out of the oven, the camera was the LAST thing I was reaching for.


This is the cake.  Isn't it fantastic?  I have searched for the recipe, but I don't think I have it anymore.  I used to have it.  I know this because I tried to make it once.  Once.

In any case ... Mom: if you happen to visit in the near future, bring that recipe and I'll let you see if it turns out the same in my kitchen.  For purely experimental reasons, you understand.

6 comments:

Leslie Ann said...

Well that cake sure looks good :-)

Wanted to let you know that I am giving you the "Ancestor Approved" Award for your blog. Please go to
http://ancestorsinthenews.blogspot.com/2010/12/ancestor-approved-award.html and pick up your badge.

Jennifer said...

Yum! It looks delicious!! It reminds me of "monkey bread" - I think that's what it's called. Very gooey and perfect when it's warm. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks you guys ... it's like monkey bread on steroids wrapped in perfection served in heaven. Seriously. I gotta see if I can find that recipe.

Susan Clark said...

When you find the recipe PLEASE let us know. Looks beyond fabulous. Love the blog.

Greta Koehl said...

Monkey bread is exactly what I thought when I saw it! Well, if it's better than monkey bread, it must truly be heavenly!

TCasteel said...

Be sure to share that recipe when you find it! It sounds scrumtious.
Regards,
Theresa (Tangled Trees)
ps love the holiday treatment of your blog site!

Post a Comment