Sunday, December 19, 2010

Happy Birthday to Me!

There will be no Christmas talk today.  In my house, Christmas doesn't exist on December 19.  Today is my birthday.  I'm older than I care to admit, but I enjoy my birthday just the same.

As any "Christmas baby" knows, being born this close to Christmas really stinks.  We get half the gifts that everyone with "normal" birthdays gets, and our gifts are always wrapped in Christmas paper.  We never really get to have parties because everyone is always out of town with their families and can't attend.  (Such was the case with my 10th birthday party.  No one came, and my parents had to call my aunt and uncle to show up just so I wouldn't feel bad. Just pitiful.)  I haven't tried to have another party since.

My grandmother was smart though.  For a time, until I was about 16, she and I used to celebrate my birthday in June.  It was perfect.  I didn't have to compete with any holiday!

That being said ... finals are over, it's the weekend, and it's my birthday.  I'm going to go take care of some ME stuff!  (Sadly, that includes organizing my research and scanning photos - but it's for me, so I can't complain).

5 comments:

Sheri Fenley said...

You say it's your birthday? Well then -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR YES YOUR ROOTS ARE SHOOOOOOWING, HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOUUU!

Greta Koehl said...

Happy Birthday! There is just something special about those of us with December birthdays. Just sayin'.

Jennifer said...

Happy Birthday!!! My sister is a December baby too and I always felt bad for her (mine is in August). I hope you had your own un-Christmasy special day. :)

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

Happy Birthday! I can sympathize with you- my sister, father, nephew, two uncles and three aunts all have December birthdays! Mine is near Halloween, and all the photos from when I was little show me with a pointed witch hat instead of a colorful birthday hat.

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

Just getting caught up on blog reading. Sorry it's late, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY! I hope it was a good one.

Post a Comment