Wednesday, December 08, 2010

Advent Calendar - December 8 - Christmas Cookies

When I think of holiday foods, I think of cookies.  My grandmother always used to make Horseshoe Cookies at Christmas.  It's a recipe that I've made, but I'm not sure anyone can make them like my grandmother used to.  I even Googled them today, and I didn't find any that were like the ones we used to make.  The cookies themselves were simple enough ... it was what happened to them after they came out of the oven that was the best!

Once the cookies were cooled, the ends (or the feet) got dipped in melted chocolate, then in any number of goodies - chopped pecans, shredded coconut, those little candy dots that go all over the kitchen if you spill them, pretty much anything we could get to stick.  They always look so festive!

Those were (and still are) my favorite Christmas food!  Here's the recipe - maybe you can start a new tradition at your house!

1 c. soft butter
1/2 tsp. salt
2 c. sifted flour
1/4-1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla

Roll out about 1/2 tsp of dough, then bend into a horseshoe shape and place on cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.  Bake at 350 deg for about 10-12 minutes.  Once they are cool, you can melt your chocolate and get your decorations ready and dip away ... but only put the feet in the chocolate.  I recommend having several small bowls for all your goodies, otherwise it just makes a mess.

I can't remember how many cookies this recipe makes.  I do know that it won't be enough - no matter how many it is.

The cookies are very fragile, so handle with care when decorating!

*I tried to find a photo online of these cookies, but apparently no one else makes them.  There were some similar ones, but none like these.  Enjoy!

1 comments:

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

Yum! Thank you for sharing your cookie recipe!

Post a Comment